Thursday, February 5, 2015

January 26, 2015

This week has been incredible. Sister Morrow and I have learned so much together, and grown even closer. I look back at the trials of my mission, as well as those that we encountered this week, with a sense of fondness. I know that in those lonely, difficult moments, I grew closer to my Savior.

We had Interviews with the mission president this week and mine was revelatory and amazing per usual. It was such a special experience.

Our ward was blessed to finish off 2014 with an increase as we and the elders baptized a few families. Our only desire is to continue that and help build Zion in this area of Florida. This month has helped me to learn a lot about others' agency and so many other things. However, the biggest thing I learned was how important communication is.

We have two investigators who have set dates for baptism and are progressing really well. One came to church yesterday and loved it. She said that she felt like she was learning so much and that she liked the way she felt there. This woman has such a pure heart. We love her so much and we love seeing her receive more happiness through the gospel as she reads the scriptures. The Relief Society was so good to her yesterday. She is getting baptized on the 8th (due to Stake Conf. this week). Her testimony will continue to grow and I will be back in a year when she receives her endowment. 

We were blessed this week to find someone who is so kind and interested in learning more about the gospel. We were looking a former member and told her that we were looking for the so-and-so family. She said they did not live there, and accepted us and a return appointment. This REALLY is a miracle because we were looking for a former member and usually, if the people move, the new residents are not willing to accept us. However, she is so interested and we are returning to see her tonight!

We also had a member we hadn’t seen for a while. He was smiling ear to ear walking around church as he was welcomed back with open arms. Everyone was telling him they were so happy to see him, asking why he came back/how he knew it was at 1pm now, and he just said, "mis chicas me invitaron."

This week during my Book of Mormon studies, my testimony grew immensely of footnotes. I took my President's counsel and am using the footnotes way more in personal study, and by doing this I have come to see that the Book of Mormon and Bible really do support and strengthen one another. The footnotes in the Book of Mormon take me to references in the Bible to help me understand what certain things mean. That was an incredible realization that came to me this week and I am so grateful for that.

I have enjoyed pondering the words of a specific hymn during the sacrament throughout my mission. Hymn 266 is probably my favorite hymn to read. This hymn is so special to me because these words are so symbolic to me of my time as a missionary. Verse 4 is especially dear to my heart:


         1. The time is far spent; there is little remaining
 to publish glad tidings by sea and by land. Then hasten, ye heralds; go forward proclaiming:
 Repent, for the kingdom of heaven's at hand,
 repent, for the kingdom of heaven's at hand.
         2. Shrink not from your duty, however unpleasant, but follow the Savior, your pattern and friend. 
Our little afflictions, tho painful at present,
 ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end,
 ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end.
         3. What, tho, if the favor of Ahman possessing,
 this world's bitter hate you are called to endure?
 The angels are waiting to crown you with blessings!
 Go forward, be faithful, the promise is sure. 
Go forward, be faithful, the promise is sure.
         4. Be fixed in your purpose, for Satan will try you;
 the weight of your calling he perfectly knows.
 Your path may be thorny, but Jesus is nigh you;
 His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.
 His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.

I love the power of hymns. I love how they can bring peace and strength.

I love this work more than anything in the world. I love laboring with my Savior and coming to know Him more and more each day. I never knew what it meant to have a personal relationship with my Savior until I came out on my mission. I feel so blessed to learn so much in such a short amount of time. I hope and pray that I can retain all of these treasures and incorporate them into my character.

Thank you for who you are. I love each of you more than words!

Hermana McCormick

No comments:

Post a Comment