Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 17, 2015

Hi Everyone!

Although both Sister Morrow and I were sick this week, we were blessed as we continued to teach our investigators and rely on the Lord. Sister Morrow recovered after about 5 days. On Friday when she felt ready to go out and work is when I caught the flu. Bad timing, but we were able to learn a lot this past week. We thought about the great chance that the Lord takes on each companionship as He entrusts us with these investigators, members, less actives, etc. We realized that the best way to continue faithfully (although unable to teach our investigators daily) was to hand our area right back over to the Lord. We did this by prayerfully reconsidering our investigators' needs and making plans for them. We were able to be inspired to think of ways to help our investigators this coming week. 

We were also blessed to have the Coral Springs West Sisters exchange while we were both sick. During the first half of the week I was able to go out and work while on exchanges and vice versa when Sister Morrow got better.

Sister Morrow and I could not be better. We are absolutely loving life together...we get along perfectly. She is an incredible sister, and never ceases to teach me more about the gospel and life in general. Basically we are happier than a married couple and sometimes we cross the line and we have to reign it back in. Only loved one friend more than this girl: Meg. Yeah she is that amazing. She is an example to me of trusting in the Lord. She is not a greenie... she came pre trained and especially now, does not need me as a trainer. It makes the work even more enjoyable as we completely share all responsibilities and give 100%. She takes initiative and is always looking to plan ahead and serve everyone. She is a fireball missionary and is always striving to be a consecrated servant of the Lord.

This week, we talked about all that our missions are teaching us. We share the same fear of going home and "going back to fishing." We talk about ways to avoid that. In essence, our fear can be summed up in 1 Nephi 3:

 29 And it came to pass as they smote us with a rod, behold, an angel of the Lord came and stood before them, and he spake unto them, saying: Why do ye smite your younger brother with a rod? Know ye not that the Lord hath chosen him to be a ruler over you, and this because of your iniquities? Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands.

 30 And after the angel had spoken unto us, he departed.

 31 And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands? Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?

Okay so in :29 an angel is rebuking Laman and Lemuel... and in :31 they are doubting the power of the Lord. This is outrageous when you think about it. They have a divine messenger rebuke and direct them, and they are such slow learners, in verse 31 they are believing in the power of man more than the power of God.

To me, this is a special lesson. I cannot be like Laman and Lemuel when I return home in the distant future. I know that as I continually trust in the Lord and grow my faith, I will be able to be like Nephi. I aspire to be like him, always doing the Lord's will, inner peace and strength to overcome temptation... living like Nephi is the only way to live. Additionally, relating this to the mission field now, the Lord really is all powerful. I have been studying Old Testament stories this week as Sister Morrow was sick. I was impressed as I read the story of Moses crossing the Red Sea coupled with Elder Holland's talk, "Cast not away therefore thy confidence" as Elder Holland explains that no one had ever crossed the Red Sea that way, but with the Lord's help... why not? I know that I need to remember to be like Nephi. I need to trust continually in the Lord, remembering that He very well may prepare a new, miraculous way for us to accomplish the things that He has commanded of us as missionaries.

Our area is going strong. We are baptizing a couple youth this month, their mother the beginning of next month, and another youth March 7 as well. We have been so blessed to have been led to the elect and we are thrilled to watch this ward grow and welcome these new members. 

HIGHLIGHT OF VALENTINES DAY: getting a massive card in the mail from the Baker clan. What made it even more amazing was that it was delivered to the door step and Denise wrote: "Kindly deliver to: Hermana Shannon McCormick." UPS really did. Way to go UPS. I actually felt like Momma Baker would be around the corner, that's how kindly they delivered it. This is how much mail means to us missionaries because I picture dad reading this and being like what the heck. Is this even making sense or am I too weird to handle?

EPIPHANY OF LIFE why have we never eaten spaghetti squash ever m and d? That’s my only complaint of being raised....you never fed us spaghetti squash. IT IS PHENOMENAL and when you bake it and then scoop it out.... it actually looks and tastes like spaghetti!!! I got it at the flea market. I scored and got tons of fruits and veggies for just 20 bucks!!! You bet we are going back today. I love a good farmer's market. 

So I was definitely humbled this week as Sister Morrow got sick and then I was all, "yeah 10 months on a mission and not even a sore throat." Then boom, fever, aches, chills, sore throat, felt like I was hit by a bus so fatigued. However, mine only lasted like 3 days instead of 7 like everyone else in the mission. I am oddly grateful for the flu though because I have a whole new appreciation for the ability to simply wake up on time and carry on a conversation with a person while knocking doors... those small things were serious struggles this week as I was prideful and tried to go out before I was better. Man, I loooooooove good health!

I love you all lots. PS d, you said you sent a package like a week ago. Not being ungrateful and withholding thanks. It hasn't come yet. I know, the suspense is killing me, too.

THANKS TO THOSE WHO HANDWRITE ME AND STILL READ TIL THE END OF MY EMAILS WOOOOOHOOO blessings for you and you and you.

Love,
Hermana McCormick

P.S. For those who care (dad) still got in workouts while Sis M. was sick. It was glorious, I got extra. I would get up early and work out with Sister Albrecht, then Sister Jones. Aka, long run, then another run plus toning. Loved every minute of it. And while I was sick, only missed my Monday work out. Tender mercies.


Til next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment