Wednesday, February 25, 2015

February 23, 2015

Dearest Family and Friends!!!

How are you? How was Al's race in LA? Is she going to NCAA and did she PR?!!! I am dying to know.

This email is not meant to be a downer, I AM OKAY, but yeah missionary work is really hard. I am learning to be grateful for trials and to learn from them. I know that one of my trials right now is not baptizing. My whole mission, I have been blessed to baptize consistently and see the fruits of my labors. I know that right now the Lord is helping me to understand my trials and learn from them. I am working my hardest not to become discouraged, for I know that that is the worst possible way that I could react to this hardship. I received a wonderful blessing from Elder Low yesterday after church. I was both humbled and comforted as I heard the words the Lord wants me to hear: "Everything you are doing is correct. (I need to) be patient in this trial and understand it." I know that I am being pushed beyond my limit to endure this, as I introspect frequently, but I know that my capacity is being expanded. Sister Morrow shared a wonderful scripture this morning from the D&C. She shared "these afflictions shall be but a moment" and the following verse to "endure them well" and that we will be exalted on high.  All of these things make sense to my mind. I am having trouble truly internalizing them...and I have a feeling that we will baptize as soon as I do internalize them and incorporate them into my character. Sister Morrow and I are both working on measuring our success as stated in Preach My Gospel.

I know that what happens in our area is our personal responsibility. No excuses. I am feeling responsible for not completely and effectively carrying out the work of salvation in our area. Not even that "we" are responsible. Sister Morrow is a new missionary and I want to give her the best start to her mission. My heart is heavy... I feel that the Lord's desires are mine. I feel that His will is mine. I want to give my all here and now. "I must go til I drop. Preach til all know." However, I know that as we follow the commandments, we are blessed. These blessings do not always come in the form of a baptism. I am prayerfully thinking of the things that I am learning, because those could be the blessings. I think they are. 

The challenges are the blessings.

Our area is progressing well. We are working closely with two families right now. Oddly enough, with both of these families, the teenagers are the most elect. The trouble is getting a parent to church to allow their child to be baptized. 
+We know that members work magic so I guess we need to keep inviting more members over to teach the families with us. We took one of our investigators on a temple tour this past week with our first counselor and his family. She LOVED the temple. By the end of the night, she couldn't stop talking about how she cannot wait to go in one day. All week, all we have heard about is how peaceful she felt there and how she will be married there. I love the power of the temple. 

+We took another member to teach two investigators. It was a spiritual and powerful lesson. Sister Morrow's Spanish (which she’s speaking so well) plus our amazing member plus the spirit... man. It was so cool to sit and watch their countenances change right before our eyes as we reminded them of the truths they knew and fought for in the council in heaven.

Our awesome member, Lorny (16 from Honduras, RC) brought 2 friends from school to church yesterday!!! We have a return appointment to teach them tomorrow. They are about 15 and 17. Both total sweethearts who are very open. I guess it is time to build the youth in this church...? Haha we have 5 potentials to be baptized and add to the YM/YW.

I had an epiphany while reading in 1 Nephi this week. Our member moments have not been going as well as we hoped. We are reevaluating and will improve how we use this new finding tool. However, I learned something about conversion in 1 Nephi 8:12:

 12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.

The tree of life represents God's love, or the gospel. We are not converted enough if we are not constantly desiring to share this good news with all. It does not have to be scary. All we need to say to our friends is: "I value our relationship and I love you. I ask that you come to understand me better by reading this book. I know that it will bless you. You don't have to get baptized, but I just want you to see what it is all about. This book has changed my life and makes up a good deal of who I am and I want to share the blessings that I have received." That is all! Our members make it so hard. Not to their fault, it is our job as the missionaries to help them see how easy this can be. I realized however, the members who are looking to give us referrals and teach with us and find more of their friends for us to teach are the truly converted ones. If we do not desire that our friends "should partake of it also", we must strengthen our own testimonies until we are at that point of fearlessly sharing with all.
Tuesday: temple tour was totally amazing. Sister Morrow and I snuck in to use the bathroom. We each got to sit in the waiting area, say a little prayer, and maybe shed a tear or two because the spirit is so strong there. Definitely excited to go back someday. Even more exciting, coming back here and going through with several people who have recently joined the church. Sorry M and D I will come home from serving only to commute weekly to Florida lolzzz. 

Wednesday: biking day and it was wonderful. Had an amazing MPL with the Fernandez twins. They were so enthralled as we taught about the Plan of Salvation and happiness that God has for us. Those kids have my heart.

Thursday: Sister Morrow was happy to be back in the car haha. She takes back thinking biking areas are all that and a bag of chips. I am happy to bike whenever, dependent upon her soreness only haha.

Friday: The Castanos came out teaching with us. They helped us teach a couple of investigator families. They have amazing testimonies and know just how to work with the missionaries in harmony. Hermana Castanos cracks me up because she just tells me how she texts mom and sounds like you two are BFFs and I just die it is so cute. Her son is getting married in SD in August... you have got to invite them to stay with you m and d!! She INSISTED that we stop at Wendy's on the way home haha. It was hilarious... we took it home and I gave my salad and lemonade to my cute comp. She was stoked... she got a nice chicken sandwich and fries and was on cloud 9.

Saturday: we checked out the Green market! Way too fun. It is a cute farmers market type place. We walked there on our lunch break and Sister Morrow got marshmallow peanut butter. "Amish made" so like homemade. She has already eaten half of the jar and I am not passing judgment. I think that’s why we are a happy married couple. I just am happy when she is happy.

We also stopped by Jairo's autoshop and that place is crawling with less actives. We invited them to come to church, got a referral and a new investigator, shared a scripture with them during their lunch, and got to change the oil on a car!! Dad, you would have been so proud. I even knew what the dipstick was thanks to you.

Sunday: We got an awesome list of LA and PM families to visit. I love when the ward does that!! And a new RS Presidency and they are on fire so excited to help us. Life is good.

Also on Wednesday Sister Gardner was in the area and dropped off a package on their way back to their area from the only and only Martha Stewart, I mean Sister Betsy Livingston. That made my day. Awesome Valentine’s Day package!! And I got to see "my dang comp" and we were geeking out and were like we have to take a photo with our babies haha it was a hoot.

Check out D&C Section 45 on my goodness I LOVE reading about the second coming. I know that it is close. Those who will be prepared to meet the Lord are the ones who are looking for the signs. So that is awesome doctrine.

Family: I am sorry, I have to be that missionary. i want to commit you all to have FHE each week. It is so important, and so overlooked. It is a huge blessing that we have to use that time to get to know one another better, learn correct principle together, etc. You might like the "Family Council" article in last month's Ensign. Really cool about how we should not just have them when we have problems. Then everyone will dread them. OKAY SO WILL YOU DO THAT? Why not turn off the TV and phones and play Wacky 6 and read the scriptures or an article together and eat fun food and love each other, right?

I love being here. I know that these trials are sacred and tender moments between me and the Lord. I am grateful for them.

LOVE,
Hermana McCormick


No comments:

Post a Comment