Saturday, September 19, 2015

Week ending September 14

What an amazing week of finding, being on bikes in the heat, on our feet, knocking for hours that led Sister Edwards and me to talk about what we would do if one of us passed out haha just kidding it wasn't that hot. Okay actually it was but it was wonderful to be on the streets of Miami inviting others to come unto Christ. But really we biked into our area first thing of the day to knock and got to the first door, I put my hands on my hips and realized I had sweat all the way down to my hips. Shoulders to hips drenched. Don't ask about my hair. 

Since we just baptized our two solid investigators last week, we had the inevitable finding spree. In the weeks leading up to their baptisms, we tried our best to replenish our teaching pool early so we would not be in a drought, but we are only working with one investigator right now.

Our current investigator referred himself to mormon.org about 2 weeks ago now, came to our missionary/investigator/RC activity at church, loved it. We went back and taught him with a member in his home that week. Came to the baptism on Sunday, then left for work. Hard to get a return appt with him so we dropped him. When you work with the elect, they basically schedule the next appt, so that was not a good sign. THEN last Friday, I guess he missed us because he RE-referred himself to mormon.org. We called, texted, went to his house, nothing. Sunday morning we "rounded him up" and he said he would not be able to come to church but had a "lot of questions"... curious or elect? Wasn’t sure if he was truly interested. We testified of church and left. I had the most distinct feeling in that lesson that things would work out with him. It was so easy to love him, listen to him, and speak in Spanish to him... the spirit was there. So we are driving away and I am drilling "ONLY WORK WITH THE ELECT OF THE ELECT" into Sister Edwards' head and she asked why we were working with him because she did not feel he was elect, etc. etc. I got a little frustrated because Sister Trebotich taught me well how to keep the standard high…..Anyway, I was bothered in my heart and was praying silently in my heart to know if it was my will to visit him or the Lord's. I was bummed walking into church with no one there (no investigators... because we had knocked for hours and prayed and slaved over our map and made it the most spiritual finding in the streets and finding of the finding spots) anyway, but had a peace in my heart the whole sacrament meeting knowing that God would provide. I did not believe, I knew. I just knew it because we had truly given it our all.....

+MIRACLE of the week.... sacrament meeting ends and miracle investigator at sacrament is behind us. Find out he is for the elders. That's okay because RIGHT NEXT TO HIM IS OUR INVESTIGATOR! I could hardly believe my eyes. He loved sacrament meeting and wants us to come teach his family tomorrow. I have the strongest feeling that he will be baptized this transfer.

Also, another beautiful miracle: one of our OYM miracles belongs to the elders but this cute Cuban couple is getting baptized!! Everyone thinks that we are teaching them because they always point to us when telling people why they’re at church and when they bear their testimony, but I do not think they understand they belong to the elders haha. Heck when the elders got whitewashed in here they did not even know they were theirs!

+3 family members and their mom: remember them? We received them as a member referral the same week we accidentally knocked into them, the father had been asking for sisters, not elders, then our boundaries got changed and there we were. Anyway, the father is the most elect of them all, but still needs time. Or so we thought, but then his member sister from Flagler came up to us yesterday and asked how we got him to church that one Sunday because he had not been since their 23 year old daughter was baptized when she was 8. And apparently he wants to come back to church and he uses this prayer guide card we gave him to bless the food now. Looks like we are going to keep working with him!

Alma 7:11-12 two of my favorites

 11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

 12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

This struck me this week as I listened to a General Conference talk that explained that Christ could have known how to succor us based on revelation. However, he chose to suffer to understand how to extend mercy to us. I know that our Savior loves us so much, that it was not hard for Him to make that decision, but I know that the atonement is the single most selfless, merciful, beautiful gift that could ever be given.

Sister Edwards is doing well. For the main part of her training, we have been talking about how her mission has been just incredibly enjoyable. I know that this finding phase is trying her, but together we are studying about the balance between faith and works and are learning much. We are helping each other to press forward and not get discouraged. There is no time for that!

We love being your missionaries, on the Lord's errand. There is nothing better.

Thank you for your support and dad for the package! The last package!! NUTS. It did not disappoint, the KIND granola is so delicious.

Con amor,

Hermana McCormick

No comments:

Post a Comment