Monday, May 25, 2015

Melting hot here!

I LOVE PINES! This ward has my heart and the miracles are literally nonstop. Get this: long, long week of knocking. I am trying so hard to show Sister Hunter that we CAN find through knocking in Pines (along with member referrals and all of our other wonderful resources). There is a visitor for the summer who came to church yesterday with a couple of member friends. We got to talking and turns out he was first introduced to the church during college when he was 18 and his coach invited him to church. Met with elders once, said they were totally nerdy and gave up with them. Then, he was selling in Texas and the sister missionaries there taught him EVERYTHING for three months! Still not ready to commit but then he promises himself that when he comes to Florida for the summer he will "go hard with the missionaries" and figure this all out. He knows all of the lessons, has a Book of Mormon, has seen every single GC address given in the past two years, and knows that it is now that he needs to act. He is so prepared and shared so many spiritual experiences that he has had during his conversion. God has been preparing him like no one else I have seen.

Sacarius, our recent convert, is doing so well. He helped the ward with a move on Saturday and is preparing to receive the priesthood next week!
Another of our investigators is listening to conference talks and the Book of Mormon each day. He was sad that he has to give up a certain habit but we asked him point blank if he believes the Word of Wisdom is a commandment from God, and without batting an eye he said yes and committed to living it!

We are also teaching a part member family, and the spirit was such a strong guidance in our last discussion. I never knew what that truly meant until my mission so that was a blessing that I got to learn that this week. They are excited to take a tour of the temple grounds this week.

Alma 5:14-16, :19
 14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually‍ been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change‍ in your hearts?
 15 Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who created‍ you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view this mortal body raised in immortality, and this corruption raised‍ in incorruption, to stand before God to be judged‍ according to the deeds which have been done in the mortal body?
 16 I say unto you, can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?
 19 I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image‍ of God engraven upon your countenances?

This is what it is all about! Verse 16 sums up my reason for serving. I truly cannot imagine standing before my Father in Heaven and Savior and not being able to say that I gave my all to further their work on this earth. I am forever grateful for my mission and verse 26 is what I read to remind myself to remember these sacred experiences of my mission:

 26 And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change‍ of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song‍ of redeeming love, I would ask, can‍ ye feel so now?

I learn more about the Book of Mormon each day. Not just the stories, but as I read I learn of God's love for me and all of His children. I learn about charity, second chances, repentance, and priorities and so many things. These are living scriptures! They are my most prized possession. How amazing that we give out the most priceless object to strangers for free. It has all of the answers. For everyone. Period, end of story! I wish that everyone would read this book.

Okay here is a day by day:

+Monday: knocked in Southwest Ranches, some man gave us TWO grocery bags of homegrown tomatoes. Dad, you would have died. I ate a couple handfuls as we biked home. That was a happy summer day. As close as I will get to your amazing tomatoes, dad!
+Tuesday: biked AAAAAALLLL day. Got a yummy cold coconut water from Whole Foods, Sacarius taught US resto...he gets it so well, I love it. The Twitchells (one of my favorite families in this ward... young family with 6 kids) fed us. Yummy baked potato with cheese, avocado, tomatoes, chili etc on top... so delicious.
Buuuuuut, I woke up at 3am and had a NASTY 24 hr. bug. Yeah, couldn't really eat or work for two days. Hardly could keep water down. Ached from the top of my head to my ankles. Not sure if I have been that sick since Hawaii with m and KK and gma. So that was fun. Slept 20 hours a day both days and you would think my bags would be gone. They're not. #missionarylife
+Wednesday: missed Zone Training :(
+Thursday: Awesome lesson with investigator
+Friday: Exchanged with Hollywood West (Spanish area so I went). Knocked for 6 straight hours. Livin’ the life. I love wearing myself out that way.
+Saturday: OKAY BEST PART OF THIS LETTER. REMEMBER ROBERTO FROM LAUDERHILL (my last area). He baptized his wife on Saturday! My heart is so full I could die. You bet we are coming back for their sealing. Should I just stay out here next fall and winter? Haha, kidding mom!
+Sunday: Definition of a miracle investigator: our summer visitor came to church.

Tender mercy of the week.... on Saturday we had to grab dinner to go. I got a yummy Publix salad and Sister Hunter was feeling Chick-Fil-A. We went. The girl who took her order was from our ward! We had been trying to visit her and her mom. Jessi told us that her mom was home if we wanted to meet her. We had other plans, but we felt impressed to go, so we went. We found her, locked out of her house. This woman is crazy cool and served a mission in North Carolina in like ‘82 and has a rock solid testimony. Anyway, she is one of my closest friends already. She was going to walk to Chick-Fil-A (like 5 miles) to get the key from her daughter since her daughter would not be off work til midnight. But we drove her and were able to get the key, get her back into her house, and had a lesson on faith. She came to church on Sunday and has so many cool stories and so much faith. I just love her. She cried as we left; God answered a prayer through the missionaries! My favorite.

I love this work. Sometimes it is like a 500 piece puzzle, following the spirit to use the Lord's time wisely to teach people the gospel. Never gets old! Am I dorky if I say that there is a thrill to it? I love the work of salvation. The Lord loves us a lot to try to help!

All my love,
Hermana McCormick

Alma 7:11-12 and Isaiah 53, some of the best!




No comments:

Post a Comment